I remember the days I felt like I had to drink green smoothies to be “healthy”. Now as an intuitive eater, I get to drink them because I enjoy them. Today I would like to share with you my favorite green ginger smoothie.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s get something clear.
There’s two ways to make a green smoothie:
1. Because you feel like you should – and they usually don’t end up tasting very good.
2. Because you want to, you actually enjoy them, you love how they taste and how they make you feel.
Green smoothies seem to have been kidnapped by diet culture, and we’re reclaiming them. Because they make us smile, and that’s enough for us.
Disclaimer: If you can’t stand green smoothies, don’t drink them! Always check in with your honest thoughts and feelings around food choices, and try to make them from a place of love for yourself. This is being guided by your intuition, and not by diet culture.
Have you checked out my article on why diets don’t work and what does? If not, I highly recommend reading that one next!
Green Ginger Smoothie
Prep time: 4 minutes
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 inch cube of fresh ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large handfuls of kale (or 2-3 full stalks)
- 2 cups water
- Scoop of unflavored protein – Vital Protein Collagen works best here (optional)
- 1 tsp flax/chia/hemp seeds – or all three! (optional)
- In blender, add frozen banana, mango, ginger, lemon juice and kale.
- Optional: add protein powder and flax/chia/hemp seeds, or any other smoothie favorites
- Add 2 cups of cold water (or enough water to cover all contents).
- BLEND, BLEND, BLEND!
- Enjoy within 1 hour of blending for best consistency and flavor
Green Ginger Smoothie: TIN Tip
Buy extra bananas! Wait until they’re perfectly ripe, half them, and put in a ziplock bag in the freezer. This takes the creaminess of a smoothie to a whole new level of yum! Here is a link for reusable zip lock bags that I love to use!
Interested in working with a food-freedom, non-diet dietitian? I am a Metro Detroit-based registered dietitian and I’d love to work with you. Make sure to check out my services page to learn more about my current offers!